Introducing…The “Make My Lucky Day” Dress

Read all about how peer pressure influenced the making of this dress here.

https://i1.wp.com/www.sewweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Make_My_Lucky_Day_Dress_04.jpg

The Sew Weekly Homepage for March 16, 2012

The Sew Weekly on March 16, 2012

Last week’s pants sucked the life out of me (so I thought) and I just wanted a breather to get my act together —you know, and take care of my life “outside the seam allowances.” But, I just couldn’t walk away from Sergio and The Machine.

The "Make My Lucky Day" Dress

When Mena announced a late theme change (Green for St. Patrick’s Day standing in for the Pantone challenge which was moved two weeks out), at first, I just wasn’t feeling it. Pooped from marathon sewing and not particularly enthused about the color green, I figured this was my cue to hang back for a week.

While mulling over my decision (for some reason I couldn’t just make my choice to opt-out and be done with it, I had to circle the wagons and analyze the value of “quitting”), I assembled a collection of lovely green dresses from modcloth.com (who can always be counted on for an endless supply of inspiring or knock-affable dress styles) onto a Pinterest board.

Green Frock Pinterest Board

Oh, that got the juices flowing. An hour and 25 dreamy dresses later, I was digging for fabric…ready for more stunt work.

The "Make My Lucky Day" Dress

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! May your garments be greener than your bagels.

Green Bagels at the Supermarket Bakery

Bagels from the bakery at my local supermarket

Introducing…The “Picked-a-Pocket” Dress

 

All my first-time pocket-making dreams came true when I (just barely) finished upcycling that brown dress from Target in time for this week’s Refashion Challenge. Not only did I conquer my phobia of inseam pockets, but I did it while transforming a ho-hum dress into a keeper—another first for me. My third eye is open wide now and it sees so many refashion possibilities in my closet.

On Friday, the “Picked-a-Pocket” Dress premiered on The Sew Weekly.

Read all about it here.

The Sew Weekly Home Page on Friday, March 2, 2012

Hacking and piecing back together something some would say was perfectly decent to begin with, is a disconcerting process. But after this experience and being so utterly wowed by all of the other talented “Refashionistas” of The Sew Weekly, I think I could get used to the hacking.

Before.

Target Merona Dress "Before" Refashion

After.

The "Picked-a-Pocket" Dress

What a difference an elastic waist, sleeve cuffs, pockets and matching belt make!

Here are some photos of the pocket construction.

Target Dress Under Refashion Surgery, drafting pockets

Target Dress Under Refashion Surgery, constructing inseam pockets

Target Dress Under Refashion Surgery, constructing inseam pockets

Target Dress Under Refashion Surgery, inseam pockets complete

Constructing these pockets was so damn easy, that I want to identify all of the skirts and dresses in my closet that are missing a place to store my smart phone and give them a blessed pair of inseam pockets.

Another great challenge week over. Good times hacking and sewing.

The "Picked-a-Pocket" Dress

Rushing for a Refashion

My garment for the Refashion challenge was still brewing in my head as of last night. And, it’s due tomorrow! My procrastination has left me with only an evening’s time to upcycle this brown dress from Target. I’ve made some quick design notes and plan to resurrect last week’s accessory to make this 11th hour stunt pan out.

I’m dying to add inseam pockets (something I’ve surprisingly never sewn before) to this sheath. Pockets would upgrade it from “meh” to functionally cute. But, I may not have the time. We’ll see. Stay tuned. Given my ticking clock, the results are sure to be interesting.